Relay Riders UK to raise money across the UK for the DocBike charity
Relay Riders are a non-profit organisation of like minded bikers who come together for charity ride outs to raise money for worthy charities. The DocBike was nominated to be their charity in 2019 and as such, hundreds of bikers will take part in rides to raise money with the intention of helping the DocBike to push out its good work across the UK.
For the past few years the DocBike project has been working with national agencies at top level to implement a united strategy for motorcycle injury prevention within the UK. With this top-level infrastructure in place, we’re now ready to put more DocBikes across the UK to engage with motorcyclists and provide life-saving critical care where necessary.
Founded in 2014, the Relay Riders encourage everyone on a motorbike to get involved. It’s a great way for bikers to meet like-minded riders whilst raising money for a fantastic cause.
237 handovers and 6,500 miles!
Over the course of a week, riders will carry the mascot teddy bears in a continuous relay, riding through day and night over 15 days, with 237 handovers and covering 6,500 miles. Those carrying the mascots have paid £10 which gets donated to the DocBike charity. Whilst riders to carry the bears have now been assigned, support riders can still sign up, riding alongside the mascot carrier and helping to raise money by donating £10 themselves. To sign up to be a support rider, donate your £10 here and then register.
How the motorcycle relay works
- A mascot (usually a cuddly toy) is carried by volunteer motorcycle riders in order to raise funds for the DocBike charity.
- The mascot is transferred from rider to rider at 237 handover points around the UK on a pre-set route.
- The relay is non-stop, so different legs of the journey will take place during the day and night until the mascot completes the final leg of the relay.
- In order to carry the mascot (& therefore guarantee that the relay will travel through your local area) riders have registered & paid a £10 riders fee as a donation to the DocBike charity. To donate your £10 – click here.
- All routes are 125cc friendly.
- Wherever possible it is our policy to ensure that all Relay Riders have support riders with them on their leg of the journey to ensure everyone’s safety and as a back-up if the allocated carrier is unable to ride on the day for whatever reason.
- At each handover point the rider fills out the paperwork that accompanies the mascot, takes a few photos and (most importantly) lets a member of the Admin team know they have arrived so that we can keep everyone up-to-date on the mascot’s progress.
Anyone can sign up to help raise money for the DocBike charity and meet a great bunch of people. To take part, use the buttons below to:
- Make your £10 donation
- Register to take part